DIY turtle dock

EDIT: click here for a step-by-step guide

Here’s a couple of pics of the finished product, “installed” on the aquarium.
I made a couple of holes on the base before putting the plastic-grass on it so if the turtle brings a lot of water it’ll drain easily.

basking platformbasking platform
basking platform

I tried putting the turtle on it but she ran back in the water right away. After a few minutes, half hour maybe, she started to lean against the ramp but didn’t climb up.

I then tried to make her climb by putting food on the edge of the platform. I know they have to eat in the water but it kind of worked.
see videos:

36 comments

1. Tony says:

You have a youtube channel?

2. Max says:

Just found this while googling DIY turtle docks. Gotta say, I love this set up and it looks very professional.

3. Mike says:

Love the basking area, looks fantastic. How did you make it? I’m looking to make something for my turtle exactly like this. Do you have plans you can send me or an general idea?

4. Elizabeth S Fagan says:

this is so cool. i just bought a glass cages above tank basking platform
    but my turtle is too big and heavy to get up thr ramp. any suggestions.

5. Mary Deas says:

What’s your email address? I have a few questions about how you created the set up.

6. Carlos says:

Hey Alex, I hope you are able to read and reply to my comment as I do not see any recent response from you to the other comments. I really would like to learn from you on how you built this basking platform. It’s beautiful and well built. I have a 100 gallon tank and I need to get a basing platform for my turlte. I believe she is too heavy for a floating dock and I want to do something intense and different and what you did would be perfect. It doesn’t take up swimming space and or crowd the tank. If at all possible could you please get in touch with me and help me out on building something like this. I would very much appreciate it and I am willing to pay for your help if at all needed.

Sincerely, Carlos

• alexplesz says:

Hey carlos, I’ve sent you an email, please check your junk mail folder if you didn’t receive it.

• Kim says:

what have you used for the ramp? I have had several homes for my turtles over the past 25 years, always with the same problem, the bigger they get, the harder it is to find a ramp system that works & wont put toxins in the water.
        Ant suggestions?

• Lisa says:

Hi Kim,

I was dealing with the same problems with my turtles who are now quite large and heavy.

I built an exterior basking tank thinking that they would have the whole tank to swim in but it was unsuccessful because of the ramp. It was to angular and my turtles couldn’t climb up.

I than went to Home Depot and bought plexi-glass. I angled the dock so it would almost be horizontal to the basking area. It’s an easy climb for the turtles.

Lisa

7. Sadye Riley says:

I love this! This is exactly what I’m looking to make for my new turtle cage. Is there a tutorial somewhere with how to make this? I’m trying to make something this way and would love to make this one!! Thanks!

8. Leeann Smith says:

Alex could you please email me how you made this along with the supplies to by list asap. My turtle thanks you

9. […] since I’m bored at work on this lovely Sunday morning, I thought I’d have a look at some ideas for different docks and post them for future turtle folk both very similar, but if you have a hood, most turtle Nazis will condemn you for it because of the trapped humidity but if you do, it probably isn’t going to be much chop I love this idea and it's what I’d like to do with my tank, it maximises the amount of water you can have in the tank and gives them heaps of basking area. smaller tank retail version simpler idea, the pictures where too big to upload and I cbf resizing so just look at the link DIY turtle dock | AlexPlesz.com : The Blog […]

10. Varol says:

Hi Alex. Could you share details on your aquarium hood (Marineland) and lighting setup? Thanks.

11. Gladys says:

I see you share interesting stuff here, you can earn some
    extra money, your website has huge potential, for the monetizing method,
    just type in google – K2 advices how to monetize a website

12. Alex says:

I read a lot of interesting content here. Probably you spend a
    lot of time writing, i know how to save you a lot
    of time, there is an online tool that creates unique,
    SEO friendly articles in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content source

13. Chasity says:

You share interesting things here. I think that your page
    can go viral easily, but you must give it initial boost
    and i know how to do it, just type in google for – mundillo traffic increase
    go viral

14. LeStan82 says:

awesome turtle topper. Thanks for sharing. We are making this now. Hope ours turns out just as nice.our turtles will really enjoy it.

15. Joash says:

Hi. How I want to know how did u make the turtle topper stable so that it doesn’t slide off the tank? I am planning to have a turtle topper built and this is a nice design :)

16. Kaycie says:

This intreducos a pleasingly rational point of view.

17. Fijn weer eens van je te lezen.Ik heb je stukjes gemist.Wordt de website nu weer als vanouds gevoed????Get was zo rustig dat ik mij ongerust maakte dat er porblemen waren, heb ik ook gemaild, maar nooit iets op gehoord.

18. Rumor has it, and I believe it to be true, that Exxon is in Harrison county offering $4250. Harrison county only. I have seen no verification that anyone has received as much as $4000 anywhere yet, although some counties are definitely headed that way, and fast.